Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 21:13:44 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWE 64 MIDI config -- I'm lost

Conrad Sabatier:
 |OK, I'm *finally* getting my system to recognize my AWE 64, thanks to
 |Luigi's Pnp patches, and /dev/audio is working fine (Voxware).  Even have
 |the Real Audio player working (yay!).  But...

Good deal.

 |MIDI is driving me nuts.  I get no sound from playmidi, or it hangs my system
 |altogether.  Installed the awedrv package from Randall Hopper, rebuilt my
 |kernel, but still no luck; AWE32 is not found at bootup.  Compiled the

I suspect this might be PnP biting.  To my knowledge, all the AWE64s are
PnP.  Hardware wise, they're virtually identical to the AWE32.  My non-PnP
32 detects OK.

 |Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong as far as MIDI?  I am *so
 |close* to getting this card fully functional (at last), and am anxious to be
 |able to download and play MIDI files.

Ok, looks like you have some conflicts below:

 |Relevant kernel config section:
 |
 |options SBC_IRQ=5
 |
 |# Controls all sound devices
 |controller      snd0
 |device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
 |device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
 |device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
 |device awe0     at isa? port 0x620
 |
 |# For normal case use next line
 |device opl0     at isa? port 0x388

 |device mpu0     at isa? port 0x330 irq 5 conflicts drq 0
 |device uart0 at isa? port 0x330 irq 5 conflicts vector "m6850intr"
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
These two lines conflict with sbmidi0.  Comment them out.

As a base starting point, use my kernel lines from below (i.e. comment out
mpu0 and uart0, etc.)

And if you "do" have another board in your system sitting on port 330,
remove it for now.  The Sound Blaster owns this MIDI port--could be the
reason you're locking up your system trying to play MIDIs via the SB FM
synth.

 |# Not controlled by `snd'
 |device pca0 at isa? port IO_TIMER1 tty

Should be OK.  I've got the same line in mine.

 |OK, good.  Yes, timidity works great, and is a fine solution until I
 |figure out how to get the AWE wave stuff going.  But shouldn't playmidi
 |work with my OPL?

Yes.

Good luck!

Randall

-----

With these lines in your kernel config:

     controller      snd0
     device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
     device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
     device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
     # Yamaha OPL-2/OPL-3 FM - for SB, SB Pro, SB16, PAS
     device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
     device awe0     at isa? port 0x620

You should be able to get cheesy OPL MIDI through opl0 via:
      playmidi -4 symphony.mid

I don't recommend this except as a test though. :-)

For FM, subst -f for -4.  For AWE (with playmidi from the AWE page), subst
-a.  But for far-and-away better quality, definitely use drvmidi once you
get the AWE synth part of the card detecting correctly.