Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 21:21:03 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net>
Cc:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>, Kenneth Mays <kmays2000@hotmail.com>, scrappy@hub.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -STABLE was stable for long time (Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?)

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:41:48PM -0500, Sam Drinkard
<sam@wa4phy.net> wrote:

> I've been using -stable for about 2 years now, and I can tell you this
> much.  -Stable, at least for me, IS stable. Of course, I'm not running
> any heavy load on the machine, but in all of my rebuilds, I've never
> (knock on wood) had any problems that weren't caused by my own lack of
> knowledge.  When I first moved to the -stable branch (4.2 I believe)
> from a 3.2-R system, I had a few problems crop up, but as the updates
> came out, the problems went away.  I don't have to have the "latest and
> greatest" every few days or months.. sometimes I'll go a year before
> I'll decide to upgrade, then it's primarily due to security
> considerations, and not any specific fix. The one thing I can say to
> everyone involved in the building of FreeBSD is thank you for such good
> documentation.  I unfortunately have to have a linux machine running due
> to specific software that will not run on *bsd, and from my very limited
> exposure to linux, I can say the documentation stinks.  At some point, I
> will most likely go back to a -Release, but the thoughts of reworking
> and re-installing from scratch 10 years worth of software, files, and
> configurations really scares me, even with good, valid backups.  When
> you progressivley move from a version of 1 to a version of 4.7 over 10
> years, you learn a bit about what works and what doesn't.

Well, I don't have any hard facts to guard my words unfortunately,
because all the memories are under the dust of time. This all can go
down to the simple fact that when I first jumped over to FreeBSD
from Linux on 2.2.1 days I was a greenhorn and my needs were very
simple. But I remember the fact that I were switching because of
Linux unstability. Still, my overall feeling is that stability has
gotten worse over time. IMO.
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts@estpak.ee