Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:30:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        daniel_k_eriksson@telia.com
Cc:        des@des.no, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [patch] NetBSD disklabel support for geom_bsd

From: "Daniel Eriksson" <daniel_k_eriksson@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:47:08 +0100

> Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> =

> > It is still possible to create dangerously dedicated disks, btw, an=
> > it is still possible to put a disklabel (or even a filesystem)
> > directly on a device.  GEOM means *more* freedom, not less.
> =

> I've been putting filesystems directly on devices for some time now. =
Are there any drawbacks to doing this?

You likely aren't putting them directly on devices, but rather using
FreeBSD's hack MBR which geom knows to ignore...  Disks w/o MBR can
confuse some BIOSes that try to be too smart.  Disks with our fake MBR
can confuse a different set of BIOSes...  The only sure way is to use
a real MBR.

Warner