Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:25:29 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1009830330.2b652e@mired.org>
To:        Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildkernel fails on behalf of config version

Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org> types:
> Manual patches included in an advisory may not cleanly apply to a moving
> -STABLE target.... and if it's a time sensitive issue I want to cvsup
> now.  The only solution is to take the machine out of service for many
> hours and build|install world|kernel in sync.

Given a reasonable processor, it's not "many hours", it's more like 15
minutes even with "best practice" methods. That's because you can do
the timeconsuming parts of the process with the machine still in
service.

With the system multiuser, do whatever you do to merge changes to
GENERIC into your kernel config file. Then do:

# make buildworld		# required, for a number of reasons
# make kernel			# makes and installs the current kernel

OK, *now* reboot, coming up single user so you're on the new
kernel. If that fails, boot the old kernel and back out the new one,
because you're not going to finish the upgrade. In single user mode,
do:

# make installworld
# mergemaster
# reboot

The installworld runs in a matter of minutes. Mergemaster - well, it
depends on how many changes have been made to the config files. If you
have a test machine so you can be sure the kernel will boot - which is
highly recommended in any case - you can try running installworld and
mergemaster with the machine in service as well, though that may cause
problems other than the kernel not booting, and is thus not
recommended.

	<mike