Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 14:41:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@CS.Duke.EDU>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   painfully slow crashdumps

We've recently begun using FreeBSD (2.2-stable) for OS research.  We
started out on IDE boxes, but we've just acquired a number of PII's
with Adaptec 2940UW SCSI adapters and WD 'Enterprise' 4360 disks.

One of the primary drawbacks to using these machines as crash-boxes is
that panic()'ing and doing a crashdump takes nearly 5 minutes to
complete on a 128MB machine dumping to a scsi disk (yes, less than
500K/sec).  Crashdumps take less than 1 minute to complete when
dumping to an IDE disk using the on-board IDE controller on these
boxes.  Running Bonnie on the scsi disks shows a write speed in excess
of 4MB/sec.  It looks like the conservative approach of dumping 1 page
at a time is to blame for these slow crashdumps. As a workaround, I've
hacked sddump() to use a static buffer of size N pages, and to copy N
pages into this buffer before passing the buffer to the lower levels
of the scsi code for writing to the disk.

However, I know next to nothing about the scsi programming interface.
I randomly chose N=8 (which yields a crashdump in ~50 seconds, or
about 2.5MB/sec), but I'm concerned I may run across a hardware
combination that cannot handle a transaction this large.  Is this a
valid concern?  How can I determine the maximum transaction a
controller/disk can handle at runtime?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Oh, if anybody would like a patch to sd.c (1.95.2.5) I'd be happy to
provide it.  It was a 1/2 hour hack & is probably the wrong thing to
do, but it sure makes our panic/reboot cycle faster which was the goal.
;-)