Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 2004 17:32:20 +0300
From:      freebsd@tern.ru
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with DNS (UDP) queries

Hi all

I am trying to get rid of strings:
 kernel: Connection attempt to UDP FREEBSD_IP:port from DNSSERVER_IP:53
on my console and in log file

I understand that those are replies on DNS queries that for some reason
 took too long time to be answered.
I do not want to turn off the "log in vain" feature.

As these strings fill up my log I am afraid to miss some sensitive
messages (e.g. hacker's attack :)

I'm using FreeBSD 5.1 with ipfw2 that allows via static rules both
                DNS queries and DNS replies.

The main application that generates queries is sendmail.

What can be done?
I've found a lot of similar questions at google but there was no a single answer.

I'd be happy, for example, to increase the FreeBSD resolver timeout but
 I do not want to change any source code.

Thank you for your attention.

Alex

 --
С уважением,
Александр Краснов

Руководитель отдела технической поддержки
Компании Терн

Тел.: +7 (095) 235-0920/0954/0851, 234-9885
Факс: +7 (095) 235-3381
www.tern.ru