Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 13:45:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        obrien@Nuxi.cs.ucdavis.edu (David E. O'Brien)
Cc:        jmb@FRB.GOV, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BoS: Re: [linux-security] BoS: CERT Advisory CA-96.12 -   Vulnerability

David E. O'Brien wrote:

> > 	CERT sends out a notice as soon as the vendor agrees.
> > 	the issue is not CERT, the issue is CERT's policy of waiting for
> > 	the vendor regardless of how long the vendor takes to produce
> > 	a fix.  (hours?  days?  weeks? .....)
> >
> > 	its the unlimited waiting period that tweaks people.
> >
> > jmb
> > --
> > Jonathan M. Bresler             202-452-2831                 breslerj@frb.gov
>
> Speaking of delays to produce a notice, what is FreeBSD's policy?
> What is the policy on full-disclosure?

	FreeBSD fixes any errors found as fast as possible
	(they all say that ;)

	FreeBSD has provided every user with access to the source
	so we can mailout a patch and let everyone fix their
	code.  a commerical vendor has to cut binaries for everyone.
	FreeBSD also makes binaries available.  but there is no
	management wondering is it will look bad to admit
	that there was abug.   *heavend* a bug! hahahh

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/