Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:10:48 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-i18n@freebsd.org
Subject:   converters/iconv problems

(I've also reported this to Konstantin Chuguev but haven't received
a response yet.)

converters/iconv, which is widely required as a dependency in the
ports tree, suffers from these problems:

* It doesn't know the ISO8859-* names used by XFree86 and -CURRENT.
  I guess adding the respective aliases will take care of this.

* Converting from/to US-ASCII (to/from UTF-8) causes iconv to dump
  core on -CURRENT/alpha.  Apparently this doesn't happen on
  -STABLE/i386.  I don't know whether -CURRENT or alpha is the
  problem, although I suspect it's the architecture.