Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 20:31:05 +0000
From:      "Anil John" <ajohn@cyberforge.com>
To:        mitch@hardware.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Private network & routing to the internet via PPP w/one

On 24 Sep 96 at 19:03, Mitch James wrote:

> > > I have one IP via PPP to a local ISP.  I am using the BSD box to
> > > connect and want to route the private network IP's in and out to
> > > the Internet.  I'm using a 3com 509 eithernet card to the Win95
> > > machines.  I'm able to telnet into the BSD box but not though to
> > > the Inet.  My question is: Can FreeBSD 2.1.5 route the trafic
> > > for a private IP network as it comes on the CD-Rom without any
> > > other software?  or Must I use SOCK5 ? Are there other options
> > > to SOCKS5?

Yes, this will work if you use the packet aliasing software that was
written by Charles Mott.  It can be found at:

http://www.srv.net/~cmott/alias.html

I currently have a FreeBSD box (192.168.0.1) which is connected to
the Internet via PPP.  When I connect via PPP to my ISP, he assigns
me a dynamic IP address.  I have a Win95 box (192.168.0.2) connected
to the FreeBSD box via ethernet.

What Charles's software does is add the ip packet aliasing function
to the dial up PPP software that comes with 2.1.5. Once you compile
and install it and enable the 'Gateway=YES' in your sysconfig file,
any machine that is connected by ethernet to the FreeBSD box can go
out onto the internet...

I am currently using this setup  and works just fine. I am using
Win95 browser, ftp, telnet, news and mail clients without any
problems whatsoever...No change to your Win95 clients is neccessory.
It is completely transparent and was very easy to setup (once I read
the documentation provided)

Just make sure that your normal PPP dialup works from your FreeBSD
box and that your ethernet link works fine between your machines
before you make any changes...Less problems to troubleshoot if
something goes wrong..

Anil

CyberForge Group LLC                * Internet Consulting
E-Mail: ajohn@cyberforge.com        * WWW Publishing
410-597-8139                        * LAN & WAN Integration