Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 2004 22:37:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Lars Eighner <eighner@io.com>
To:        Simon Burke <simon.burke@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 5.3: cant install openoffice 1.1 from ports

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Simon Burke wrote:

> I've recently done a fresh install of 5.3, i updated ports using cvsup
> to install gnome2.8, which im using know, great.
>
> Problem is that it wont allow me to compile openoffice properly, i
> cant give an error message as  its about 7hrs in i  get the message
> and i've since made clean.

I can't help you with the port, and perhaps no one can without some idea of
the nature of the error.  However, I can tell you something that will help
you just about any time you need a record of an error message.  Of course
you can use script to record all the console stuff from every compile, but
you probably won't do that, so assuming you compile at a virtual tty, do
this:

vidcontrol -PH < /dev/ttyv# > ~/save.txt

where # is the number of the ttyv.  -P dumps the video buffer in human
readable form and -H makes it include the whole scrollback buffer, not just
the visible screen.  You can do this from the ttyv where the disaster
occurred, but generally I switch to another one. Of course, you can make the
filespec anything you want rather than
~/save.txt .

Form the habit of doing this every time something goes wrong.  It will make
it much easier to get people to help you, to make bug reports, or to google
for similar problem.

--
Lars Eighner
eighner@io.com -finger for geek code-