Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 1995 14:42:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        chuckr@eng.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fiskars UPS support...

> > 2)	Make a TCP connection to a priveledged port on that host.
> > 	Retry at intervals if necessary.
> >
> > 3)	It writes you on the connection you made when it wants to notify
> > 	you of some event.
>
> I don't find 'privileged ports' in my trusty O'Reillly TCP/IP book, could
> you give me a reference?  I just don't see, right now, what would stop
> someone with a packet sniffer, finding how I communicate, then spoofing
> the remote.  I know how to set up connections, I'm wondering about
> security, and how much is enough, when I'm talking about something that
> can shut down the machine.

man rresvport

A port in the range 1-1023 can only be allocated by root.  That is,
those ports can only be answered by a Trojan Horse if your monitoring
system has been fully compromised.

The spoofing is prevented because the systems that can be spoofed make
the connection to the monitoring system.  That means someone can not
pretend to be the monitoring system and sending a failure warning and
cause a shutdown because connections are not made in that direction.

The worst that someone can do is register with the monitoring system
and get powerfail notifications, and then only if you don't put
restrictions on who is allowed to connect to the monitoring system
in the first place (ie: it should be inside your firewall in any case).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.