Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 12:12:29 -0700
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, "Mark J. Taylor" <mtaylor@cybernet.com>, Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig: changing mac address

> From: Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
> Date: 1999-05-15 09:40:39 -0700
> To: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
> Subject: Re: ifconfig: changing mac address
> Cc: "Mark J. Taylor" <mtaylor@cybernet.com>,Daniel Eischen
> <eischen@vigrid.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> > It seems there's a need, and the possibility.  Would somebody like to
> > suggest a syntax?
>
> The precedent would be the socket ioctls SIOCGIFHWADDR and
> SIOCSIFHWADDR.  The Linux emulator suppors the get-only version
> already.
   It's already been mentioned that some adapters support multiple
unicast media addresses (the DEC parts; the on-board enets for (most)
PowerPC Macs; ...).  It would be good to support aliases for media
addresses as well.  The 'alias' keyword for ifconfig could be
overloaded for this, no?  The driver could fail the request if it
didn't support it; or if it has run out of slots for aliases.  There
should also be (I think) a way to tell the driver to go to
promiscuous mode to emulate this (an "I really want this" request?),
but I'm not sure it should be the default response to the "set
hardware address" request.

Regards,

Justin

--