Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 1996 21:51:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Richard Cobbe <cobbe@cs.rice.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   General install question

Sincerest apologies if these are FAQs, but I couldn't find them in the
mailing list archives or any of the other docs at www.freebsd.org.

I am not currently running any version of FreeBSD, but I'd like to install
it (2.1.5-RELEASE, fwiw) and check it out.  I have 2 IDE drives, and I'm
planning on installing BSD on the 3rd partition of the 2nd drive (both are
on the first IDE cable).

I have been told that the kernel which is installed as part of the process
expects to find itself on the first IDE device, and the system won't boot
(at least, won't boot BSD) if it's not there.  So, I have two questions:

1) Is this in fact the case?  If so, can I get around it by swapping the
drives, installing, recompiling the kernel to look for itself on the second
device (and changing /etc/fstab), and moving the driveFrom owner-freebsd-questions  Thu Oct  3 20:04:15 1996