Date:      Sun, 06 Aug 2006 14:47:24 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Ro BGCT <robgct@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Confused on how to properly set /etc/hosts

--------------enigB0FA5F92E3F931D4B1152D9A

Ro BGCT wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I am new to FreeBSD and am wondering if someone couldt tell me how to
> properly set /etc/hosts.  Right now it is:
>=20
> 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain
>=20
> It says to replace "my.domain" with the domain name of my machine.  If
> I am using this box remotely and its hostname is "web1.server.net",
> would I make the change like:
>=20
> 127.0.0.1 localhost web1.server.net
>=20
> Or am I doing it wrong?

The instructions mean you should edit the line to read:

127.0.0.1	localhost localhost.server.net

Generally if you have a fully qualified domain name eg 'web1.server.net'
then 'web1' is frequently referred to as the 'host name' and 'server.net'=

as the 'domain name'.  It's shorthand, and it's technically not correct[*=
]
but it's commonly understood.

Don't get too hung up over the /etc/hosts thing.  Arguably it's equally
correct to have just:

127.0.0.1	localhost

Any extras on that line won't make any noticeable difference at all on
most setups.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] In the DNS *everything* (fully qualified or not) is a domain name,
whether it refers to a host, a web site, a whole network or whatever.

--=20
                                                      Flat 3
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW