Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 1995 18:17:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@iagi.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, help@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SLIP help!

Hey all - sorry to post to so many lists, but I'm having some
_very_strange_ problems with my SLIP dialup users ever since I upgraded
our box from 1.1.5.1.

Config:  ASUS SP3G, 40mb RAM, NCR SCSI, 2.1gigs (Quantum Empire), ATI
Mach32 video, BOCA 2016 16port serial board.  Machine's primary function is
terminal service, name service, WWW service.  No problems with 1.1.5.1
on this box.  Have 6 14.4 modems and 2 28.8 modems on the Bocaboard.

Here are the symptoms:

1.  Dialup (non SLIP but on same modem lines as SLIP users) still works
perfectly.

2.  SLIP works fine for some users and doesn't for others.  There is _no_
connection whatsoever between configs for people that it works for and
for people that it doesn't.  Some users dial in, log in with their slip
login id (which has /usr/sbin/sliplogin as their login shell) and all is
great.  Some users dial in, login as their SLIP id, SLIP _appears_ to be
up, but they can't see the net, and the net can't see them (ping).
Again, there is nothing I can tell that is different for the people that
it works for and the people that it doesn't.

One of the users for whom it doesn't work is logged in right now,
/var/run/utmp tells me they're logged in -"w" reports they're logged in
and their login shell is sliplogin - e.g.

 6:11PM  up  5:33, 4 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.08, 0.07
USER    TTY FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
slipuser d2 -                 5:52PM    19 -sliplogin (sliplogin)
adhir    p0 machine           5:42PM     - w -n

When I ping that user's machine, I get the following:

[bigdipper:~] ping machine
PING machine (198.6.14.52): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Network dropped connection on reset
ping: wrote newsusa.com 64 chars, ret=-1

Strangely enough, for a short while after this user first logged in, I
couldn't ping them (I got the above error), but I could telnet to their
machine on port 25 (they're running an SMTP mailer).  VERY strange.  A
few minutes later I could neither ping nor telnet.

Here are my relevent config files:

/etc/sliphome/slip.login
------------------------
#!/bin/sh -
#
#       @(#)slip.login  5.1 (Berkeley) 7/1/90

#
# generic login file for a slip line.  sliplogin invokes this with
# the parameters:
#      1        2         3        4          5         6     7-n
#   slipunit ttyspeed loginname local-addr remote-addr mask opt-args
#
/sbin/ifconfig sl$1 inet $4 $5 netmask $6 -trailers
/sbin/route add $5 $4
/usr/sbin/arp -s $5 00:00:c0:3a:aa:54 pub
exit

/etc/sliphome/slip.hosts
------------------------
slip01 bigdipper slip01 0xffffff00 autocomp
slip02 bigdipper slip02 0xffffff00 autocomp
adslip bigdipper machine 0xffffff00 autocomp
ttslip bigdipper bigtime 0xffffff00 autocomp
anslip bigdipper holmes 0xffffff00 autocomp
coslip bigdipper cyberad 0xffffff00 autocomp
mcslip bigdipper graphic 0xffffff00 autocomp
poslip bigdipper postal 0xffffff00 autocomp
dmslip bigdipper dmdesign 0xffffff00 autocomp
crcoslip bigdipper jzaklow 0xffffff00 autocomp
newsusa bigdipper 198.6.14.121 0xffffff00 autocomp
gilslip bigdipper 198.6.14.202 0xffffff00 autocomp

All slip users' login shells are /usr/sbin/sliplogin.

HELP!

Alok K. Dhir
Internet Access Group, Inc.
adhir@iagi.net