Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 21:27:12 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail - low on space

I would tend to agree... On our large disks we anticipated having a lot of
mail users, and made /var a very large partition accordingly...

I've also found it's normally better to split the disk up into a few
partitions, if you loose say, /usr - the system will still come up - and can
be quite manageable with a little forward planning ;-)

Whereas if everything is on a '/' file system - and you loose it - you have a
lot of stuff to put back in 1 go, usually in a hurry <g>

(Touch Wood) We have not run out of /var space at all - some would think
'wasted diskspace', others would say 'careful planning, and accounting of
costs vs. risk vs. space' :-)

My boss thinks costs... I tend to think trouble when it breaks... <g>

Regards,

Kp