Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 05:48:53 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
From:      Bernie <Bernie_X@myrealbox.com>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: a little problem with ports

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, David Johnson wrote:

> Bernie wrote:
>
> > The 'qt-designer' (IDE) that comes in the ports want qt
> > version qt-2.3.1_1.
> >
> > the 'qt-architect' (dialog editor) wants qt version
> > qt1-1.45_1.
>
> Since qt-architect is available for qt-2.3.1, you should email the port
> maintainer. I find that qt-architect is a much better program that
> qt-designer.

so, i probably got that wrong...

i thought you needed both of them no? the qt-architect is it IDE +
drag n' drop gui designer?

if so, then i only need architect right?

appart from that, do you know of any other gui toolkits with IDE and
widget drag n' drop designers available for freebsd?

i tried glade as well but fails to compile... i'm using 4.5-PRERELEASE
and did cvs all ports yesterday, but it seems i'm very unlucky with
ports this time... many not compiling or fail to install ...

> > Because qt is one of the best qui toolkits available + IDE and is
> > also cross-platform (win98, nt, linux, sol, etc) and i'd realy like
> > to use it, can you tell me if i can ask anywhere if a port for qt3
> > is under development.
>
> It is under development, but since there are no programs currently using
> it, I assume it's just waiting until KDE-3 gets released.
>
> You may also want to check out freebsd.kde.org, which is working on
> freebsd related KDE stuff.

about kde stuff, do you need to run the kde windows manager to do that
stuff? or you'r ok with just installing the libraries? i use blackbox
and don't realy wanna change...

thanks a lot and looking forward to your response

Regards,

Bernie