Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2012 18:50:14 -0800
From:      "Jake Holland" <jholland@fastsoft.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   hang during dump (reproducible)

Hi,

I was reliably seeing a hang during panic in stable/8 -r231144 (and 8.2 =
release) with an active ssh session. The SCHEDULER_STOPPED patch fixed =
it, once I found it:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2011-December/030127.h=
tml
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-September/063824.h=
tml

Many thanks to Attilio Rao, Kostik Belousov, and Andriy Gapon. And =
anybody else involved.

However, when I looked at the commit I noticed this:
> $ svn log -r228424 svn://svn.freebsd.org/base
> MFC after:              3 months (or never)

I'm not sure whether "never" is still considered an option, but it would =
be useful for me if 8.3 release, when it comes, does not hang this way =
during panic. But thanks for the patch, regardless.

Problem details:
If I did a "sysctl debug.kdb.panic=3D1" from the console while the =
machine was idle, the dump would complete and the machine would reboot =
and come up with a good core.

If I did the same command remotely via ssh, it would hang every time.
I also usually would see a hang if I had an active ssh session printing =
things while I caused a panic from the console. Occasionally in that =
case it would continue and make a good core if I killed the ssh session =
from the client side. An open but idle ssh session did not seem to =
induce a hang.

If anybody wants other details, I'd be happy to provide them.

Jake Holland