Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2000 15:53:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are the best gcc optimization options for Pentium 200 MMX

:
:Why exactly whould you not touch the -march options? I have had no
:problems using them, and my system (5.0-CURRENT) seems a little faster
:with -march=i686. I could be wrong though as I havn't done any exact
:tests... it just seems a bit more responsive..
:
:=================================================================
:| Kenneth Culver              | FreeBSD: The best OS around.    |

    A couple of reasons, but the two main ones are:

    * They are still under development

    * They won't do what you expect (for example, the pentium optimizations
      often produce faster code on a PIII then the i686 optimizations)

    * They *have* been known to generate bad code, owing to being under
      constant development.

    * And your binaries won't necessarily be portable between
      manufacturers (AMD vs Intel), or performance may suffer.

						-Matt