Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 13:00:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SMP patches?

> I just inherited a Titan II motherboard w/ dual P90's, where can
> I get the patches for SMP, and how far out of date from -current
> are they?

You will need to rebuild a system based on a checkout of the sources
from 28 Oct 1994 to use the original patches.  The original patches,
minus the correct install locations and one header file, are FTP'able
from freefall.cdrom.com.

I can supply the header file as necessary; it's an interesting counter
of the number of people playing with SMP.

Changes in the locore.s for kernel debugger support (mostly the
stack traceback code) have broken the patches for more recent
versions.

I have an updated patch set, which I am going to put together
tomorrow for an engineer at Intel with access to multiple 2 and
4 processor boxes, which updates the patches to link with the
new kernel.

Additional recent changes for support of Willows and some changes
to process context handling have further broken the applicability
of the patches.  Some assembly and scheduler work will be necessary
to make them run against -current.

I haven't been pounding on the assembly code because, frankly, I
hate Intel assembly having just come of a project to allow for
actual call time profiling of Windows95 kernel components (VXD's
and PELDR-loaded kernel modules).  Besides that, there is plenty
of work to push down the interfaces in the file system code using
the 4.4BSD-Lite2 code to prepare the way for kernel multithreading
and fine grain parallelism.

I can send you the new patches, after which you would have to
pound on GDT/LDT and initialization code to make them work at all.

Let me know if you just need the header.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.