Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2001 02:47:29 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        kris@obsecurity.org
Cc:        ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de, antony@abacus.co.uk, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARCH flag in new make.conf

From: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 02:44:56 -0800

> > Well, first off you're not even setting it to the same value he
> > was. :)
>
> Yes I am:

My apologies - I just saw that in my test build and wasn't aware until
now that they were identical.

> This whole thing came totally out of the blue for me, I would have
> appreciated a bit of discussion before unilaterally declaring the
> project I've been working on "bad for users".

Well, I can certainly understand that perspective.  What would you
say to one of the following compromises:

a) We make a concerted effort to reproduce Mr Hartman's breakage
   and only retain the warning message if we or some reasonable
   proxy person manages to do so.

b) We retain the warning but tone it down a lot, simply suggesting
   that it *might* hurt you if you used it.  I would also welcome any
   suggestions on that wording.

- Jordan