Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 08:33:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thumbs up? Or down?? (disk recommend)

> In lists.freebsd.hackers you write:
>
> >> Greetings!
> >>     I was planning on picking up some MC3243 drives (4.3G, 8.?mS)
> >> and wondered if any have comments pro or con?
> >>     Thanx!
>
> >Exec-PC just returned a boatload of these to the manufacturer.  Tooo many
> >failures under moderate to heavy use.  Buy a Barracuda instead and put a big
> >fan on it.
>
> Screw that, we have about 80% failure on Barracuda's we have so far.  Shoot for
> the Connor 4207S, runs cold, 7200RPM, fast as snot, works perfect so far.
>
> -Crh

We have a zero failure rate on the Seagate Hawks; not quite as fast
(5400rpm) but very stable and great seek times (sub 10ms).

The 4.2G drives are relatively inexpensive to boot.  We like 'em here.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1]     | 10 Chicagoland POPs, ISDN, 28.8, much more
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net
ISDN - Get it here TODAY!    | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!