Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2000 09:17:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Hechinger <wonko@users.tmok.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Celeron Question

i've held the celeron in very low respect, i just don't like what it is (keep
in mind i'm a long time sun guy so i tend to have a problem with x86 in general)
and i have noticed that under WinNT/98 it tends to be rather unstable.  for
example.  we have a couple Celeron based laptops at work, and running both 98
and NT they would crash constantly.  our internal systems guy put 2000 on these
laptops and POOF, stable as a rock.  so my question is, obviously some kernel
tuning was done on 2000 to make it work well with the celeron.  maybe the
celeron has a hangup or two with certain bits of the current x86 instruction
set, i don't know, but anyway, back to the question.... what is the current
status of FreeBSD on the Celeron?  i'd like to throw together some low cost,
moderately powerful FreeBSD boxes, and the Celeron looks like it would fit
the bill, as long as it is stable, otherwise i'll look to the Athlon, or worst
case, K6-II, although a slot2/370 combo motherboard so i can upgrade to full
strength Pentium IIIs when the time comes is an attractive deal.  (the time
being after the Pentium VII has been released and the IIIs are dirt cheap)

thanks,

-brian