Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:04:23 -0800
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@sigbus.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting up mbone network (mini and standalone) troubles with mrouted

Im trying to setup a small multicast network, crossing four networks.  Three
of the networks are IP connected, the fourth is not.  I.e. something like so:

Net1 <-> Private T1 <-> Net 2
 ||                      ||
 || Internet             || T1
 \/                      \/
Net 4                   Net 3

Network 1 throuth 3 all work as advertised, they all communicate with each
other just fine, sdr sessions work, etc...  The connection between network 1
and 4 is only via a mrouted tunnel, there is no other IP tunneling going on.
SDR advertised sessions from net 4 do not propogate to the other networks, and
neither vice versa.  The one weirdness.  If network 4 originates materials to
multicast address 239.1.1.1, then it will make it to the other networks.
However in this case, upstream pruning does not function, instead the stream
keeps coming on through.

Anyone have any ideas on why or how this is happening?  Thanks for any
insight!  (I dont know of any generic mrouted/mbone mailing list or I'd email
there as well)

-Crh

       Charles Henrich                                   henrich@msu.edu

                       http://www.sigbus.com:81/~henrich