Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 17:35:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE Prefetch Mode... (was: VIA crashes)

It seems Nils Holland wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:16:32PM -0800, Matthew Dillon stood up and spoke:
> >     I'm CCing Soren to make sure he sees this.
> >
> >     This is good news!
>
> It indeed is! However, I'm doing some more testing before I say that
> disabling IDE Prefetch along with using Soren's 686B patch is the ultimate
> solution.

Hmm, the BIOS must do more that just toggle prefetch, since the ATA
driver explicitly turns *on* prefetch :)

> As I have said on multiple purposes, I guess my mainboard's BIOS is a
> little more messed up than what is supposed to be standard ;-) This can
> also be seen by the fact that I need to put some light load on my hard disk
> in order to get an acceptably smoothly-moving picture from my TV capture
> card (though Soren's fix has acceptably fixed this problem by now, which I
> really appreciate!)

Indeed, but we really should figure out what that problem is all about.
What exact make and model is that board and the TV tuner ?? I'll see
if I can get ahold of a semilar setup somehow...

-Søren