Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 95 10:30:32 PST
From:      troyc@sandy.merix.com (Troy Curtiss)
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Cloning a 1.1.5.1 system

I have two identical pieces of Hardware:
AST 486DX50, 815MB HD, 8 MB Ram ... Machine #1 is the production
system right now, and I would like to make machine #2 an exact
duplicate for redundancy.  Both HD's are partitioned the same.  How
do I make machine #2 a clone of machine #1.  I have tried the
back-to-back tar solution, and it doesn't work (everything gets
owned by root, and permissions get messed up).  Dump looks like what
I need, but it doesn't seem to want to work either!!  Can someone
give me a method to actually do this.  I need a clone... meaning all
user accounts, permissions, X11, everything are identical.  HELP...

-Troy