Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 2015 11:46:30 -0700
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Sami Halabi <sodynet1@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: traffic prioritize

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 7:38 AM, Sami Halabi <sodynet1@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
> I need to set some QoS on traffic.
> I use ipfw & dummynet, all my search to cane to use queue with weight,
> however its said that this method not prioritize traffic rather that
> splitting the pipe according to the weights (if i read correctly should sum
> to 100).

dummynet does not implement priority queues, but uses a variant of weighted
fair queueing - WFQ2+ - "fair" because queues with lower weights are
guaranteed to have their traffic move.

You misread the docs on the weight - each queue may have a weight from
1-100.

One sublety is that your pipe capacity must be slightly less than the
available bandwidth, since queue weights only take effect when there is
contention.

- M