Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:58:14 -0700
From:      James Long <list@museum.rain.com>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hosts file from DNS zone files?

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 12:43:25PM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> It would be easy enough to do, but why?  You're much better off
> running a name server.

What about during startup, when one needs name resolution of local hosts
before named is running?

I refer to hosts entries in my ipfw script, such that I might define
${www} as the name of my webserver, resolvable by /etc/hosts, and
proceed to define rulesets like:

allow tcp from any to ${www} 80
allow tcp from ${www} 80 to any

Then, should the value of ${www} change, it does not break my
firewall rules.