Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 12:07:40 -0800
From:      "Jeffrey Bernt" <jbernt@bigfoot.com>
To:        <cjclark@home.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ipfw info...

I'd like to find a way so windows computers on the inside of the firewall
can transparently use the windows resources outside of the firewall (see the
network neighborhood of the outside network). The server will have two nics
(still in planning stage) one for inside network (192.168.*.*) and one for
outside network (140.211.*.*)
Server is running ipfw, and will run natd and dhcp for the internal network.
Is something like this feasible? I just want to keep the "locals" away from
my computers. =) (college)
Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Jeffrey Bernt wrote,
> Hey,
> Just a quick question. I want to put a firewall on my network and put some
> other computers behind it (go figure). I would like the windoze
workstations
> inside the firewall to be able to see the network neighborhood of the
> workgroup/domain. Is there a way to do this configuring ipfw or natd?
> Thanks for any info on this. =)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

You are going to make a firewall and want the machines behind the
firewall to use "Windows Networking" among themselves? There is
nothing special to do.

Or do you want machines on both sides of the firewall to be able to do
Windoze Networking across the firewall? That's more of a problem and
somewhat defeats the whole purpose of having a firewal in the first
place. If the firewall is an ipfw/natd box the problem becomes
_very_ difficult.

How is your network setup and how do you want it to work?