Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:59:12 GMT
From:      tlegvold@c2i.net (Thor Legvold)
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X11 setup on fresh 3.2 install

Just got my 3.2 Walnut Creek CDROM, installed it and everything looks good. I may have made a blunder as I chose several window managers under install hoping I could try several out, switch between them until I decide which one I would like to use regularly.

Unfortunately I'm X11 illiterate and have no idea where to start getting things set up. The install went fine, I can do "startx" and get the WM started, but _which_ WM starts I have no controll over :-( As far as I can tell it's the last one installed by the installer, so I suspect a symlink somewhere. I've used /stand/sysinstall several times to try to remove/add the different  WM's, and it seems as though most of the docs and binaries do indeed get installed, although starting them is a problem.

I helped a friend install Redhat 6.0 recently, and I noticed he got xdm with a "chooser" installed automagically, and can choose which desktop environment/WM he would like to run at login time. Very nice. Is this trivial under FreeBSD? Or should I install one WM at a time, try it out for a while, then uninstall and try a new one?

Hope this is enough info to get help for. I'm unix-literate but not X11 (I used NextStep for several years).

Regards,
Thor