Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:31:31 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quiet computer

soralx@cydem.org writes:
> You mean, you have a job for fellow BSD'ers? ;) No, I don't know who
> builds complete systems, but seems like this board is available on
> an auction (eBay). And it is expensive (however, considering it's
> got everything integrated, + some nice, original CPU features
> which are quite useful for a server -- such as true RNG, and hw
> crypto engine that can run at 25 Gbit/s (!) max -- not to bad, IMO).

I bought a Via system
 http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/photos/2006/05.May/Epia/thumbnails.html
from logicsupply.com, and they will build systems for you.  I didn't
have them assemble mine for me, and it only took me an hour to get it
assembled and running FreeBSD 6.1.  They have that board, as well.
I'm sure other vendors have it too, although I haven't checked.

> I have not tested any VIA processors myself yet, and I'm waiting
> for someone to try them out with FBSD and post results :p
> I also heard rumors (can't remember on which maillist) that CPU's
> RNG and crypto engine work with FreeBSD rather well...

I have crypto(4), cryptodev(4), and padlock(4) installed on my
system.  I haven't benchmarked it, but it certainly keeps the load
down on my constant ssh sessions...