Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 13:11:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        david.myers@Corp.Sun.COM
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A pointed question: SMP directions...

I think the instability in -current is greatly overrated.  I have just
taken the path of "When I find a snapshot that works, hell must chill
before I move to a new snapshot".

Of course, the more people that install it and use it, and report bugs,
the sooner it will be more stable, so there's kind of a chicken and egg
problem.

My 3.0 boxes from around the beginning of Oct (10/8) have been just
solid little clunkers.

I would suggest you install it and try it.  You can always delete it.

Of course, I can only speak as a pretty satisfied user with something like
4 3.0 boxes (all duals, the quad's firing up next week).

Now the multithreading issue is a whole 'nudder story, but since I
currently don't have a need for it, I haven't been following the
discussions too closely, but IIRC, kernel threading was a way off, and
I think was hampered a bit with some of the locking issues in the kernel
that were being discussed recently.  But I could be mixing apples and
kiwis.