Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2019 23:51:21 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
Subject:   Re: Synaptics on Panasonic Touchbook CF-C2

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 23:14:31 +0100, Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
> Can anyone help why hw.psm.synaptics_enable="1" makes my TrackPad stop working?

You need to differentiate between "works in console mode" and
"works in X". For the console mode, normal mouse functions will
be available, but typically Synaptics-specific things are not
supported. Technically, it is represented as a PS/2 mouse (psm),
but with extended touchpad features.

For X, you only need

	hw.psm.synaptics_support="1"

in /boot/loader.conf. For the scolling feature, add

	hw.psm.synaptics.vscroll_hor_area=1300

to /etc/sysctl.conf.

There are a few other settings that you can tweak:

	https://wiki.freebsd.org/SynapticsTouchpad

However, don't bother with console mode and moused.

There is also the suggestion of using a partial xorg.conf entry.
While the Wiki mentions /etc/X11/xorg.conf, you'd better use
some file like /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/synaptics.conf
with the content as suggested:

	Section "InputDevice"
	    Identifier      "Mouse0"
	    Driver          "mouse"
	    Option          "Protocol"      "auto"
	    Option          "Device"        "/dev/sysmouse"
	    Option          "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5 6 7"
	EndSection

Then start X and examine /var/log/Xorg.0.log for suspicious
entries.

Having the Wiki entry match the _current_ way of making the
Synaptics touchpad work would be great.

> Debug shows always the same data, the mouse pointed does not move.

I assume you're using moused's debugging feature? Forget about
moused and console. :-)

> Without Synaptics enabled it works fine.

Correct, because now it's a "normal mouse".

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany