Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 21:22:20 -0500
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   hmmm, getting 4.3 to talk to net yypasswd file...

   Hi gang,

	I have a 4.3 box at work. I have YP and NIS installed, and running.
   The problem is, I can't log in using my corporate UID. This is due to
   one of two problems (I think!)

	1. The 4.3 box is using KerberosV encryption on the passwords,
	   and the net is using either crypt (likely) or md5 (unlikely).

	2. I don't have ksh installed, and my yp password entry specified
	   ksh as the shell.

   I say it is likely the corporate network is using crypt, because crypt
   and md5 are the two options my SUN workstation talk about, and that uses
   YP/NIS. It is unlikely a SVR4 shop would be using md5, but...

	It is also possible that I have both problems. Where can I find a
   ksh to download? The one in ports fails looking for INIT, and I haven't
   found a ksh package.

	I can view the password and hosts entries, so I am fairly confident
   YP/NIS is working. Yes, I am aware that I could set up a local password
   entry for my UID, with matching UID/GID, but I would prefer to use the
   coroporate entry, in case the MIS group decides to change things... :-)

								Bruce