Date:      Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:57:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Release schedule for 2006

Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> wrote:
 > Sounds like an ambitious schedule...  All  my FBSD servers
 > are at least up to 5.3; my laptop is happy at 5.4.  I have
 > what I believe to be a rationalquestion.  Why should I go
 > beyond v5.5?

Because 6 better, faster, more colorful and more fun.  :-)

But seriously ...  I'm running all my machines at home
on RELENG_6 (6-stable by now) for half a year already,
especially including my notebook.  A lot of things that
didn't work with 5.x or required a lot of fiddling now
"just run" out of the box with FreeBSD 6, and it also
feels a bit faster.  Also, power-saving works better, so
my notebook runs longer on battery.  Stability is the
same or even better -- I haven't had a single panic in
those six months for which I've been using RELENG_6
(except a few panics upon shutdown, but after syncing
the disks so it didn't hurt anything; I guess it's an
ACPI issue with that particular mainboard, because it
happens only on one of the machines).

The upgrade from 5.x to 6.x is completely painless and
no more risky or difficult than from 5.3 to 5.4.

I've seen reports of a few people who had problems with
6.0, but personally I didn't have any, and I wouldn't
want to go back.  In fact I can't think of a single
reason why I wouldn't upgrade a FreeBSD machine to 6.x.

YMMV.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Perl will consistently give you what you want,
unless what you want is consistency."
        -- Larry Wall