Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:28:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch to improve mutex collision performance

On 21 Feb 2002, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> writes:
> >     I'm not interested in using P4.  I think it's a mistake.  That is, I
> >     think it is being severely overused.  [...]
>
> Frankly, although I use Perforce myself for PAM work, I agree with Matt
> here.  Most of what is going on in the Perforce should be happening on
> branches in our main repo, if only CVS didn't suck so bad at branching.
>
> I would like to suggest that we consider transitioning our main repo to
> Subversion.  It's reasonably similar to cvs, and has all the features we
> need that cvs lack: metadata versioning, atomic commits, cheap
> branching...

The problem is CVS.  The solution is unclear.  In the mean time, people
are using Perforce because it's an effective tool to do the job.  Believe
me, I'd rather *not* be using two (or two and a half) different version
control and software source management schemes, but the practical reality
is that CVS cannot provide what I need to do what I do.  Once there's a
reliable free version control system that can be the One True System, I'll
be extremely pleased to use it.  Until then, well... :-)