Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:32:43 +0100
From:      "Andy Cowan" <andyc@waverider.net.uk>
To:        "Paul Robinson" <paul@akitanet.co.uk>, "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>, "Jim Weeks" <jim@siteplus.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Best alternative to asp

> You must remember that ASP on IIS permits two different languages
> - VBscript
> and Jscript. What you call "traditional" ASP is an example of
> VBscript, but
> whenever I coded in ASP I used Jscript which is what you refer to
> as "Perl"
> but in actual fact has far, far, far more in common with
> javascript that perl.

Um, wrong. ASP on IIS permits any number of languages as long as you have a
scripting engine to support it. What Forrest calls "tradiational" ASP is
VBScript which is by far
the most widely used language supported by ASP. What Forrest refers to as
Perl *is* PerlScript (not JScript) which has everything in common with Perl,
and nothing to do with JScript or JavaScript.

As in <%@Language PerlScript%>

> Personally though, I agree with other posters in that PHP is a
> more suitable
> language. Combined with Zeus it's a great deal faster, easier to code in,
> isn't as brain-dead and is more functional, in addition to being
> available
> for free for a large number of platforms.
>
> ASP is for people who buy the M$ line every time. We aren't
> members of that
> set.

But if your *customers* are (remember this is freebsd-isp), you might need
to think a little bit out of your box. Or do you plan on converting each and
every one of them to your way of thinking?

A.

--
Andy Cowan
Managing Director