Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 17:10:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Charles C. Figueiredo" <ccf@master.ndi.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   technical comparison

	Hi,

	I appoligize if this is the improper channel for this sort of
discussion, but it is in the best interests of the FreeBSD following,
atleast, within my orginization.

	I work in an environment consisting of 300+ systems, all FreeBSD
and Solaris, along with lots of EMC and F5 stuff. Our engineering division
has been working on a dynamic content server and search engine for the
past 2.5 years. They have consistently not met up to performance and
throughput requirements and have always blamed our use of FreeBSD for it.
We have humored them time and time again; i.e. they once claimed the lack
of some sort of RAID was keeping them from meeting their requirements,
when he had already thrown brute amounts of hardware at their application.
When we setup a load-testing environment with multiple types of RAIDs, all
the systems, including the one without any sort of RAID performed
identically. And poorly, at that.

	We have had a recent change in departmental structure, which
unfortunately, weakened the more technical side of the top of the food
chain. They have taken this as another opportunity to push for Linux-use
within our environment. We do not want, nor feel the need for introducing
another OS into the environment.

	The following are the points that the head of engineering claimed
were their requirements and our shortcoming, which Linux would handle
well:

---

a) A machine that has fast character operations

b) A *supported* Oracle client

c) A filesystem that will be fast in light of tens of thousands of
   files in a single directory (maybe even hundreds of thousands)

Requirement a) means that it won't run well on a Sparc processor as
they are notoriously bad at character addressing, and since search
makes extensive use of character operations (as does *any* web
application server for that matter), using a Sparc processor will be a
waste since the x86 architecture (AMD's and Crusoe's especially) do it
much better.

Requirement b) means it won't be FreeBSD.  Yes, you can run Linux apps
under emulation, but I'd bet dollars for doughnuts that this will be a
support nightmare if we can even get it to work.

Requirement c) means it won't be Solaris or FreeBSD since neither of
them have a filesystem which handles this effectively.

Linux on Intel fits the bill because it meets these three requirements
*very* effectively.

---

	I find them to be mostly silly points -- (a) touching on integer
math -- pretty moot point given the real meat of this. (b) is wrong, since
there is a native port of the oracle client and (c) is just silly -- I'm
sure softupdates on a modern BSD ufs is loads faster than ext2fs.

	Folks, please give me some real technical ammo -- reference
internals, give a real technical comparison if possible. I don't believe
this is some lame FreeBSD/Linux comparison -- I'm simply trying to
tactfully and effectively deal with a zealot. :-)

	Any help would be greatly appreciated.

	-charles.