Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 1998 07:14:51 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        cgull+usenet-886763413@smoke.marlboro.vt.us (john hood), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wd0s1e hard errors

> I'm getting _really_ tired of people pointing their fingers at bits
> of code and saying: "Oh well, we don't have enough time/resources/brains
> to maintain this and I can tell thanks to my vast psychic powers that
> nobody's using it anyway, so let's just chop it out of the tree and
> throw it away." It happend with the 'unused' networking protocols,
> it happened with LFS, and now it's happening with bad144.

Whoa Tonto!  I think it's important to argue for the preservation of
useful stuff, no question, and if bad144 support is still useful at
least to SOME people then it should stay in.  No problem.  Lumping it
in with things like LFS, however, only buggers the argument you're
trying to advance since LFS *NEVER* worked and had almost no chance of
ever working (trust me on this, OK?) so nuking it was a good idea,
just as nuking our dysfunctional ISDN code a long time ago was a good
idea.

Some things should go and some things should stay.  Saying that NOTHING
should go is just as bogus as saying that everything should go, and you
need to be careful to stay away from an extreme position on this one
if you're going to argue credibly for the preservation of bad144.

> Do _not_ argue this point with me. I don't want to hear it.

If you don't want to argue a point then posting it to a public mailing
list is the purest folly.  If you just want to vent for the sake of
venting, open a window instead. :-)

					Jordan