Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:01:53 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Mark Evenson <evenson@panix.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.3.1 and JRE netscape/mozilla plugin

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 07:49:41AM -0500, Mark Evenson wrote:
> Well, I made it to the point of mozilla reporting "failed to exec
> 'java_vm'".  I don't know how far I can get in debugging this at this point,
> as my knowledge of how to debug mozilla is rather scanty, but I offer the
> observation that the 'java_vm' executable gets placed into the
> 'native_threads' section of the filepath where no other files seem to be
> located.

You don't need to debug mozilla.  In fact, you don't even need to run
Mozilla.  You can get java_vm to crash just as handily running it from
the command line, without having the rigmarole of mozilla invoking it :).

>         quid:~/src/jdk-1.3.1/j2sdk1.3.1/build/bsd-i386$ find . -name java_vm -print
>         ./bin/i386/native_threads/java_vm
>         ./jre-image-i386/bin/i386/native_threads/java_vm
>         ./jdk-image-i386/jre/bin/i386/native_threads/java_vm
>         ./jdk-image-i386/bin/i386/native_threads/java_vm
>
> That raise any flags to anybody?

This is simply a hard coded path.  I've got patches to put it in
green_threads.  I suspect its hard coded to native_threads as that
is the default threading subsystem on Linux, Solaris and Windows.

This isn't the problem though :).

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 765 1887