Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 21:46:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: please, please help me with my udma drive

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sunday, 18 April 1999 at 21:33:56 -0500, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> >> You almost certainly want LBA mode on.
> >
> > LBA mode is what i was told munched on my /usr partition last 3 times i
> > took a crashdump.
> >
> > "I took a crashdump and it ate my /usr"
> > "don't use LBA and crashdumps"
> > "ok"
>
> Who told you that?

A few months ago i was getting locked up by NFS bugs, to try to track
down the problem i enabled crashdumps and the next time it locked up
i broke to DDB and asked for a crashdump.

When it then rebooted entire partitions were destroyed on the same
disk that the dump device was configured.

I was told that when the dump routine is called it's not aware of
LBA mode being in flags and turns off the translation, this tended
to make the dump get stuffed in the wrong spot on my disk.

In fact i've been afraid to take a crashdump since on all my IDE
boxes.

This used to work fine for me, I've diabled LBA in flags, but still
haven't had the corage to take a crashdump on the IDE boxen.

Several people on -hackers or perhaps -current told me this.  I'll
find the messages if you want them.

-Alfred