Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:10:32 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        "Michael W. Oliver" <michael@gargantuan.com>, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64 laptop recommendations

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 12:11:14PM +0200, Ville-Pertti Keinonen wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 11:42 -0500, Michael W. Oliver wrote:
> > Good morning folks!
> >
> > I am in the market for an AMD64-based laptop, and am currently leaning
> > toward the Acer Ferrari 3400, but would like to borrow a few minutes of
> > your time to ask for suggestions on something better.
>
> The Ferrari 3400 is probably a decent choice.  I have a Ferrari 3200
> myself, which is mostly the same except for the slower processor, and it
> works well with FreeBSD.  I've been using it for almost 6 months now.

Actually the Ferrari 3400 has a real benefit over your 3200, the 3400 has
a 90nm CPU -- which means cooler and longer battery life.

If I were to buy an AMD64 laptop today I'd get the Ferrari 3400.  If not
that one, then probably the Averatec 6240 (MSI made).  If I wanted the
largest, work horse laptop around I'd get the HP zv5000z.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)