Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:00:05 -0800
From:      "Andrew Kinney" <andykinney@advantagecom.net>
To:        Igor Sysoev <is@rambler-co.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shared mem and panics when out of PV Entries

On 24 Mar 2003, at 16:02, Igor Sysoev wrote:

> How many Apache processes do you have and what's their size ?

It varies between 150 and 256 Apache processes.  Our MaxClients
is set to 256, which seems to work well.

Their size varies from 240MB to 290MB depending on how long
they've been running.  Their resident set size (RSS) is usually
between 7MB and 90MB each, though it seems to average about
60MB each (as shown in 'top' and 'ps').

The root Apache process has the same size as the others, but the
RSS is only 1.2MB.

> kern.ipc.shm_use_phys, kern.ipc.shmmax, etc are for System V shared
> memory. They have no relation to the memory that shared between
> processes via fork().

That would explain why they've not had any effect on this issue. :-)

So, what's the best approach to limiting memory shared via fork()
or reducing PV Entry usage by that memory?  Is there something I
can do with the kernel config or sysctl to accomplish this?

Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
President and
Chief Technology Officer