Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:43:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   egcs and templates

I've been off hackers so I hope this hasn't gone around in the last
week before list archival takes place:

Does anyone know the combination of tools for egcs to work with templates?
The new ptolemy needs egcs and I get the evidently well known
problems of this assembler complaint:

> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:7398: Warning: GOT relocation burb: `__$_9InfString' should be global

followed by multiple defines in the link for the shared library:

> ld /usr/lib/c++rt0.o -Bshareable -o  libexttools.so.7.0 InstanceManager.o MathematicaIfc.o MatlabIfc.o MatlabPtIfc.o
> ../../../src/utils/libexttools/MathematicaIfc.cc:74: Definition of symbol `__$_9InfString' (multiply defined)
> ../../../src/utils/libexttools/MatlabIfc.cc:75: Definition of symbol `__$_9InfString' (multiply defined)
> gmake: *** [libexttools.so.7.0] Error 1

This shows another thing I know I may be doing wrong: using /usr/lib/c++rt0.o
with egcs.

Tools:

Using new egcs in ports,
assembler from -current,
standard linker.

I tried the switches "-frepo" and "-fno-implicit-templates" not expecting
the program to work but at least trying to see if it linked and it
exhibited the same behavior, as if the switches were doing nothing.

Later I'm going to follow the INSTALL directions and try to install at
least the assembler from the latest binutils but that recommendation
mentions exceptions as the item it fixes and not templates.

Anyone have this working?

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval