Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:50:02 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>
To:        jbruner@esn.net
Cc:        "Brian Somers" <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WAN via PPP with -alias

> When I tried taking out the -alias, the satellite office was no longer able
> to reach the Internet (they are on a different subnet than the home office),
> and I still wasn't able to ping any machines besides the host machine.
>
> Are all of the items I mentioned below needed (routed, enable proxy, etc.)
> needed?  Are there any that I missed?

You need to make sure that routing works between the two LANs, then
run the aliasing software at the gateway to the outside world.

Routed is useless as it just runs around deleting static routes, and
enable proxy isn't very useful at all.

Did you add the two ``add <network> HISADDR'' lines I mentioned ?  If
you get the two LANs talking, everything else should work fine.  Of
course everything on your ``home office'' LAN will need to know how
to route to the ``satellite office'' LAN - you might be able to get
away with setting up a static route on the 'net gateway and letting
the ICMP redirects tell everyone else how to get there, but if you're
using DHCP your best bet is to update everyones routing info.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>