Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 1998 09:47:45 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: large drives, old BIOS, IDE Controllers

Mike Smith wrote:

> > The "problem" is my machine is a 486/dx2 something.  I'm installed a 5G
> > drive.  The shop figured I might not be able to use this drive as the BIOS
> > won't handle more than the first 512M of the drive.  Yet, what I've just
> > read in the mail archives is that FreeBSD doesn't use the BIOS.  If so, my
> > job is easy.
>
> It needs the BIOS to boot.  As long as you can get at the FreeBSD root
> filesystem, you'll be OK.
>
> > At present, the machine has a CD-ROM and a 330M drive.  Both are IDE and
> > are running off the I/O board.  I'm about to add a 5G drive.  Problem:
> > there's only 1 IDE connecter on my i/o board and none on the mother board.
> >  And I can't buy an i/board with two IDE connecters.  None are available
> > to be had.
>
> You'll have to find one.  Try a secondhand (junk) store; there are lots
> of them still around.

Hi,

We've seen a problem with a very old machine before, and a large drive.

Apparently it had something to do with the number of bits the IDE controller
supported (I seem to remember it only supported 22 bits, rather than 24 bits -
this was a while ago!) - after some checking this turned out to be a hardware
problem, and we couldn't use the onboard controller...

Having said that we did buy a plug in controller and get that working - Maybe
the extra controller will be the best bet... If you get really stuck (and don't
mind paying carriage) let me know, as I've got some ISA / VESA-VL ones round
here somewhere ;-)

Regards,

Karl