Date:      Thu, 8 May 1997 15:36:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mathison@sara.cpb.org (Neil T. Mathison)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Basic Unix shell usage question (I think)

Greetings,

   I am attempting to use the vmsbackup utility and can not.
But I believe my trouble is more basic than with this utility
specifically.

   I have a file (in this case a vms backup saveset) that I need to
feed to this utility. In an attempt to obtain a file listing os the
saveset I have tried the following (expecting behavior similar to tar)

     vmsbackup -tf myfile.sav
     vmsbackup -tf /dev/stdin < myfile.sav
     cat myfile.sav | vmsbackup -tf /dev/stdin

all without success.

    The error it reports is
          myfile.sav | /dev/stdin: Inappropriate ioctl for device

    By default vmsbackup is expecting a file through a tape device
    /dev/rmt8. How do I feed a regular disk file into it?