Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:46:47 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        Peter Brezny <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How To's

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Rick Hamell wrote:

> > 	Sounds like you're voluntreeing to head this up... :)
>
> 	I have to agree with you though... there is an awful lot of
> documentation that is hard to find from the main site. The real question
> is, do the people who wrote it wish it to be merged in to the
> handbook...? That is one of the reasons why I've been making my web
> site... there is no one central place for everyone to get a list of links
> from.

	I have a lot of documentation (HOW-TO's) that I have written up.
	Well, most of it is actually my notes...but could be converted to
	HOW-TO's with little effort. Most of it is how to put everything
	together to work right.  This stuff is all geared toward the
	everyday SYS-ADMIN...not the programmers.  If we could put this
	together on 1 common site, then we could point everyone there.
	I've talked with several people that TRIED to run FreeBSD and ran
	into problems when looking for info on HOW-TO do stuff.  I will
	help in anyway possible.

	What I have now includes:

	Tunnels/VPN's (with IPSEC)
	Apache (with Virthosts and SSL)
	DNS (setup,naming schemes,management,making other apps work right)
	Firewalling (IPFW,NAT,SRC-ROUTING,DUMMYNET,BRIDGE)
	NATd (Proxy arp, PUBLIC/PRIVATE aliasing, Making your BSD machine
		work like a Cisco PIX)
	Sendmail(Virtuser/aliasing,domain support,cf building with m4,etc)
	Routing (static & dynamic with gated)
	Samba/WINS
	Fun with SSH and Expect.
	and other generic stuff (automation stuff)

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.