Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 21:29:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        Gyori Sandor <gyori@szit.bme.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nsswitch dynamically loadable modules

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Gyori Sandor wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There are patches to solve this problem at
> http://www.nectar.com/freebsd/nsswitch
> but only a part of them was built in to -CURRENT (the statical part).
>
> Could anybody tell me why? This is a serious deficiency of FreeBSD which
> has been solved on Linux for ages. Is there any security or other reason
> not to implement a fully functional nsswitch feature into FreeBSD?

If it's such a deficiency where are you're patches to fix the missing
bits? I fail to see them attached to this mail. Maybe my mailer dropped
them on the floor. Please resend them! thanks!

> Is there anybody who use _properly working_ nsswitch and nss_ldap on
> FreeBSD?

Many of us are waiting on nectars code. He is very busy working on other
things. And last time I checked he hoped to be picking it back up in June.
He is doing the best he can. You can help by finishing his work and
submitting the changes back so we get complete support sooner. I await
you're contribution.

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"