Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 08:51:53 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, mpp@freefall.freebsd.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a last word on last

> > > I would suggest zeroing out wtmp and seeing what happens.
> >
> > Well, I zeroed wtmp/utmp several times in the past and the problem
> > came back. This may because of the various changes to the wtmp/utmp thing.
>
> Are you using an older version of xdm or xterm.  If they haven't been
> recompiled they will create (now bogus) entries.

Besides that I think it is a very bad idea that the wtmp/utmp changes affect
the X applications (this makes running NFSed/NIS/YP clusters with shared
areas for X11 and differing kernels a pain and nearly impossible - and
I hope, that there will be a solution for this (libutil) soon ),
in my case the effect showed already at the vty level.